Can you sell cbd on Shopify?
Shopify will permit US merchants to sell topical and consumable hemp and hemp-derived CBD products, provided that they are operating in a state where the sale of their product is explicitly permitted and they comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
Shopify has always been the best way to start a business online, especially for new industries that have strict regulations.
Here are some of the things you’ll need to consider including on your CBD Shopify store in order to stay compliant.
1. Add an age gate to verify your customers are over the age of 21.
2. Build compliant landing pages that can be used for ads on Instagram, Google & Facebook.
3. Set up custom shipping rules for different types of products and limit what states you ship to.
4. Create shipping labels that automatically require signatures on delivery.
If you want to start to sell CBd on Shopify don’t miss our special 21 days FREE Shopify Trial.
Try Shopify free for 21 days, no credit card required Plus 10% OFF For 1 year!
Selling CBD on Shopify (US only)
US merchants in certain states are able to sell select hemp or hemp-derived cannabidiol (CBD) products on Shopify. Merchants can sell these products only in states where permitted by law. State laws and regulations governing the sale of these products vary significantly and are subject to change. You should consult with an attorney to determine how and where you’re able to sell your product.
Because US laws surrounding hemp and CBD are quickly evolving, merchants should consult with an attorney before selling these products on Shopify. Shopify can’t provide advice on what and where merchants can sell, but we recommend that merchants review and monitor federal, state, and local laws, as well as monitor updates from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA site has helpful guidance on products that contain hemp and/or CBD in the United States.
Set up your store to sell hemp or CBD
- Log in to your Shopify store. If you haven’t created a store yet, then go to www.shopify.com/sell/cbd to sign up for a trial store.
- Carefully review and submit the Attestation for the Sale of Hemp and Hemp-Derived Products. You need to be signed into your Shopify account as the store owner to complete this form. If you’re not the store owner, or your store address is not located in the United States, then this link will automatically redirect you to the Shopify admin. Before you sell any CBD products, make sure that you understand and submit the attestation form. After you have submitted the form, the attestation process is automatic – you don’t need to wait for a response from Shopify regarding the attestation form. For more details on this form, please refer to the Requirements section.
- Select and apply for a third-party payment gateway. Shopify Payments is not available for hemp or CBD products at this time. However, Shopify has partnered with third-party payment gateways that support the sale of certain hemp and/or hemp-derived CBD products. The requirements for approval may vary for each gateway. Review the requirements and apply directly to any of these gateways using the following Shopify-specific links:
This list may not be exhaustive, and may change over time.
Hemp-derived CBD transactions are vetted more carefully by third-party payment gateways than other transactions, so the application and approval process might be more involved than usual. Third-party payment gateways take into account many factors in approving payments and rates for shops selling CBD products, including product type, whether the business was recently created, transaction history, volume, product mix, and others. Approvals are at the discretion of each third-party payment gateway, and Shopify can’t guarantee the approval of your shop.
Additionally, it is important that you know your responsibilities. Like all Shopify merchants, it’s your responsibility to follow federal, state, and local laws and the respective policies of Shopify, our app and partner ecosystem, and any third-party providers. If you have additional questions, then contact the third-party providers directly, or consult with an attorney.
What hemp and/or hemp-derived CBD products can I sell on Shopify?
In the United States, products that meet the definition of (or that contain ingredients that meet the definition of) “hemp” as defined in the 2018 Farm Bill and that comply with all other applicable federal, state, and local laws, including those in the jurisdictions of your customers, can be sold on Shopify. Merchants are not permitted to sell products containing CBD derived from marijuana.