The German office landscape has changed permanently with the corona crisis. Many work at home, which was the rare exception in 2019. With the number of infections falling, some are drawn back to the office, while others use the new mobility and open their home office outside of their own four walls. We have examined cell phone tariffs with large volumes, i.e. from 15 gigabytes per month, and flat rates that can be used across Germany.
The monthly requirement is difficult to estimate at the beginning. Video conferencing is the biggest volume hog. Per MBit / s of bandwidth actually used, they add up to 450 megabytes per hour. A conference in Microsoft Teams typically requires 3 to 4 Mbit / s, i.e. 1.35 to 1.8 gigabytes per hour. Even half an hour of video conferencing per day and 20 working days per month breaks the 15 gigabyte mark – and has not yet used any other services.
Unfortunately, there are hardly any video conference systems that allow settings to be made to reduce their hunger for data. If so, then you can usually only reduce the resolution of your own camera, but this practically does not reduce the downstream. There are some providers who use bandwidth sparingly, compress the video stream and limit the resolution to the bare minimum, while others prefer to optimize the image. In practice, the data rate is between 1 and 10 Mbit / s.
- Access to all heise + content
- exclusive tests, advice & background: independent, critically well-founded
- Read c’t, iX, MIT Technology Review, Mac & i, Make, c’t photography directly in your browser
- register once – read on all devices – can be canceled monthly
- first month free, thereafter € 12.95 per month
- Weekly newsletter with personal reading recommendations from the editor-in-chief
Start FREE month
Start your FREE month now
Already subscribed to heise +?
Sign up and read
Register now and read articles right away
More information about heise +