Instagram Security Check features include checking login activity and profile information, confirming accounts with shared login information, and updating account recovery contact information, such as phone number or email address. The security check is part of an effort to further strengthen the protection of Instagram accounts.
Security check: important measures for higher protection
Instagram recommends the following steps to protect user accounts even better against cyber attacks.
- Enable two-step authentication: It is recommended that you enable two-step authentication. If you use WhatsApp, you will soon be able to secure your account in certain countries using your WhatsApp number. Alternatively, you can activate two-step authentication with your phone number or an authentication app such as Duo Mobile or Google Authentication.
- Update the phone number and email address: Make sure the email addresses and phone numbers associated with your device are still up-to-date. This is important so that Instagram can reach you in case of problems with the account. These measures will allow you to recover the account even if information has been modified by hackers.
- Instagram never sends direct messages: In the past few months, we’ve seen an increasing number of malicious accounts sending direct messages to gain access to sensitive account information such as passwords. They pretend, for example, that your account could be blocked, that you have violated our intellectual property guidelines, or that your photos are being shared without consent. These messages are often fraudulent and violate our policies. Instagram never sends direct messages.
If we discover such attempts at fraud, we take action. We also recommend reporting such content and blocking the account. In the past two months, we have informed users about fraudulent direct messages with a corresponding note at the top of their mailbox. If Instagram contacts you about the account, this is only done via the “Emails from Instagram” tab in the settings. In the app, you will only receive authentic messages from us there.
- To report suspicious content and accounts: We are continuously improving our technologies to combat new developments and new scams involving hackers and spam accounts. You can also report individual content to us. To do this, tap on the three dots above for posts, press and hold Messages or call up the account and report it directly via the profile.
- Activate login requests: If you enable two-step authentication for Instagram, you’ll get a warning every time someone tries to sign in to your account from an unknown device or web browser. These warnings show you which device someone has tried to sign in from and where it is located. On devices that you are already signed in to, you can approve or reject this request immediately.
Plus, you can always see a list of devices that recently signed into your Instagram account. You can find this in the settings in the “Security” area under “Login activity”. If you do not recognize one of these registrations, you can log out of the respective session at a specific location or device and, if necessary, inform us if this registration did not come from you. Further information on the security check can be found in the Help section of Instagram.
Violating the rules of Instagram
Accounts that impersonate other people, that abuse their verification status to hack or harass people, or that spread spam and misleading content are against Instagram’s rules. We are continuously optimizing our technologies in order to recognize and prevent such behavior. We have also significantly improved our support mailbox. There you will now receive the latest information about your reports and will be notified if one of your posts violates our guidelines. You can find at a glance the status of all reports you have sent us on Instagram, see which of your posts may be violating the rules and how you can appeal against Instagram’s decisions. (sg)
Also read: Revenue-Share: How Instagram intends to share influencers in sales in the future