Tech

The World Loses 28 Trillion Tons of Ice in Less Than 30 Years

Scientists in the UK have once again demonstrated the bill global warming has paid the world over the past 30 years. According to research, the world has lost 28 trillion tons of ice in less than 30 years.

UK scientists, triggered by rising greenhouse gas emissions global warming conducted a study using satellite images to calculate how much of the ice layers in the poles, mountains and glaciers have melted because of this. According to the results of the research, since 1994, a total of 28 trillion tons of ice it disappeared.

Scientists from the University of Leeds, Edinburgh University and the University of London said the level of ice loss was staggering. Due to melting glaciers and layers of ice, rising sea level could be expected by the end of this century, the researchers said. to one meter stated that he could reach.

It will have serious consequences

global warming, glacial melting, polar bear

Professor Andy Shepherd of the University of Leeds says that every centimeter of rise in sea level lives near sea level. that millions of people will be displaced He said it meant. Scientists also stated that ice melting at these levels significantly reduces the rate of reflecting incoming solar radiation. Warnings were also made that with the disappearance of white ice, seas and soil will absorb more heat and the planet will become even warmer.

Cold freshwater pouring from melting glaciers and ice sheets causes major deterioration in vital health in Arctic and Antarctic waters, as well as the disappearance of mountain glaciers is critical for communities in the region. destruction of fresh water resources causes.

Professor Shepherd said that the ice level loss revealed by researchers, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change stated that it coincided with the worst-case scenario estimates made by This study, in which all the lost glaciers in the world were examined for the first time, covers the years between 1994 and 2017.

The level of ice loss is very serious

glacial melting, global warming, climate change

The researchers said that regions that have experienced serious problems with ice loss over the past 30 years will continue to lose ice. Tom Slater of Leeds University, “To put the disappearing glaciers into context; 28 trillion tons of ice is the entire surface of the UK. Can cover with 100 meters of frozen water said.

Researchers believe that most of the ice loss on Earth as a result of climate warming said that. The published research said that the surface temperature of the planet has increased by 0.85 degrees since 1880 and that the warning signals are felt much stronger in the polar regions.

Main cause of ice loss in Antarctica rising sea temperatures The increase in atmospheric temperature caused ice losses in internal glaciers such as the Himalayan Mountains. The loss of ice in Greenland is both increase in atmospheric temperatures It was a result of the combination.

Not all melting glaciers raise sea level

sea ​​ice, global warming, climate change, sea level rise

All of the melting glaciers during this time, the researchers does not cause sea level rise told. Isobel Lawrence of Leeds University, “54% of the ice loss was from sea ice and ice shelf. They float in water and their melting does not contribute to sea level rise. The remaining 46% meltwater comes from glaciers and ice sheets on land and contributes to sea level rise.” said.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change published its first assessment of this issue in August 1990. In this evaluation that global warming is real and it was stated that it was triggered by the increase in greenhouse gas emissions.

RELATED NEWS

It has been explained why the Mediterranean is the place to experience the highest drought due to climate change

Despite the warnings from scientists, greenhouse gas emissions continued to rise as global temperatures continued to rise. Global temperature between 1980 and 1989 and 1990 to 1999, according to Britain’s meteorological office Increased by 0.14 degrees. In the next decades temperature rise rose to 0.2 degrees. This temperature increase is expected to rise to 0.3 degrees in a decade.

Source :
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/aug/23/earth-lost-28-trillion-tonnes-ice-30-years-global-warming